Thursday 12 February 2009

Houseboats, hippies and hill stations

The last few days have been pretty crazy, so I figured an update is in order....
After Palolem we headed to the train station to catch a train to Kerala. The three of us put down our bags next to a pillar to wait for the 2 hour late train and pretty soon almost every non Indian in the train station had done the same (there is a picture that I'll put up sometime of me and Jules on top of a huge pile of backpacks plaing guitar/eukalele). We started talking and soon had arranged to share a houseboat in kerala with three guys - Danny (Canadian), Arie (Australian) and Christian (Chilean). The train journey was comfy enough (we were in the lowest class). We got off the train at Allepy at about midday and immediately went in search of a houseboat. A houseboat is an amazing construct - it is a large wooden boat with a motor, and a proper house complete with bedrooms, bathrooms, a kitchen (which comes with a keralan cook) and a dining room - all made out of bamboo and wood! Ours also had a second floor (not many did) with a balcony so you could sleep under the stars. We set off from Allepy jetty at about 3.00pm having paid about 20 pounds each for two nights on the backwaters complete with meals. The backwaters themselves were amazing - imagine a tropical version of the marshes just near to Blenac, but on a much larger scale and with a lot wider passages (in places). We spent the days listening to music, reading, talking and napping and the evenings drinking and playing cards (the 10 of diamonds has unfortunately met a watery fate). The food was amazing, the boat would pull up to fishermen and the crew would buy stuff freshly caught - it was the best food I've had in India so far (apart from maybe the fried fish in Goa...). On the last night I slept under the stars. I have 40 mosquito bites on my arms and counting.

After 2 nights on the houseboat, it was sadly time for me to part ways with Ellie and Jules, who were flying from Cochi up to Delhi and then onto Bangkok. I stayed with the guys though and we decided to visit an ashram on the backwaters which lonely planet describes as a fascinating place well worth a visit. That would only be if you enjoy staying at the headquarters of what is, effectively, a cult full of seemingly brainwashed hippies. There were pictures of the guru everywhere, and everyone was just so odd, you couldn't have a conversation with them. We left after 6 hours, and found our way to Kollam, which is where I am now. Arie and Danny have now also returned to Delhi to fly back to there respective countries, and Christian has an Iron Maiden concert in Bangalore that he has left to see. I am planning on heading to Ooty, a hill station in Tamil Nadu (the other far south Indian state) which is North of where I am now. I think I have gone as far south as I want, there isn't much of interest that further down, so from now on I will be heading upwards!

On a sidenote, my guitar has been an awesome buy. However I fear I may be turning into Mum - I have been giving a few lessons! Also, most resteraunts we go to want to hear me play something, not always a bad thing - my rendition of Remember Me by the Zutons earned me a free coffee today!!!

No comments: